For sport touring with an emphasis on Sport, the Interceptor continues to stand far above all others thanks to its exemplary handling, high-performance VTEC engine and long-range amenities.
Universally considered one of Honda's most illustrious race-bred sportbikes, the Interceptor® is also arguably one of the best all-around streetbikes ever built. Featuring a fuel-injected, VTEC-equipped V-4, aluminum chassis, antilock braking (ABS), and an all-new color scheme for '08, this is a machine, though born of the track, whose razor-sharp performance is equally at home on any paved surface.
Reviewer after reviewer has praised the Honda VFR800A Interceptor as the best all-round performer on the road. And no wonder. Its 781cc V-four is one of the most sophisticated motorcycle engines in the world, featuring Honda's VTEC variable valve-timing system that allows it to perform like two engines in one. Fuel injection delivers the precise amount of fuel for optimum performance, and you can't help but notice the Pro Arm single-sided swingarm, underseat mufflers, twin-spar aluminum frame, and a seating position that's all-day comfortable. Hop on a VFR800A Interceptor, and find out for yourself what everyone's been talking about.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
- New Metallic Silver color
- Revolutionary VTEC combines the power characteristics of both two- and four-valve cylinder-head designs. The engine runs on two valves per cylinder below 6400 rpm then switches to four valves per cylinder to deliver significantly stronger low-end and mid-range torque, while maintaining the Interceptor's impressive high-rpm power delivery.
- Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) (see Technology Section).
- Unique Pro Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
- Pro-Link Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
- Unique NR-style center-up exhaust system incorporates two stainless steel mufflers tucked beneath the Interceptor's tail section.
- Large-diameter 43mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge front fork provides enhanced handling under all riding conditions.
- Linked Braking System (LBS™) (see Technology Section)
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) model available (see Technology Section).
- Four brilliant multi-reflector headlights employ two centrally positioned H4 low/high beams positioned under two widely spaced H7 high beams for brilliant nighttime illumination.
- Compact 781cc DOHC 90-degree V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
- Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates mechanical gear noise. The system features a set of dual tensioners that maintain optimal pressure and lubrication for the camshaft chains, ensuring quiet operation and long life.
- Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) (see Technology Section).
- Iridium-tip spark plugs are ignited by compact high-energy coil-on-plug spark plug caps that produce a strong, high-voltage spark.
- Interceptor engine serves as a stressed member of the pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
- Aluminum-composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered-aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation than conventional sleeves.
- Cast-aluminum pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between piston and cylinder wall.
- Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, which optimizes the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminates the need for a manual choke.
- Solenoid-operated dual air-intake duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air-intake velocity.
- Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators. During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing to keep hot air away from the rider.
- Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
- Clutch features an offset outside friction plate for quiet operation when starting from a stop.
- Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
- Three-phase coil-spring damper in the transmission provides for seamless upshifts.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame and contributes to handling comfort.
- Unique Pro Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- Pro-Link Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- Linked Braking System (LBS™) (see Technology Section).
- The Interceptor's 296mm floating front-brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design.
- U-section cast-aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
- The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-17 radial tire. The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a wide, low-profile 180/55ZR-17 radial tire.
- 5.8-gallon fuel capacity for excellent sport-touring range.
- The Interceptor's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional and beautiful.
- Satin-finish treatment on muffler covers and exhaust heat shield for distinctive styling.
- Stylish silver finish on clutch and brake master cylinders.
- Clear turn-signal lenses front and rear provide a high-tech look.
- Air flowing through the windscreen's central air vent provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
- High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters and clock.
- ACG output of 497 watts.
- Detachable seat provides storage for a U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
- Removable passenger seat cowl.
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
- Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in cold or hot weather.
- Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Available Honda Genuine Accessories
- Touring Accessories: Color-Matched Hard Saddlebags, Sport Touring Trunk, Saddlebag Liner Set, Trunk Liner.
Specifications USA: Model: Interceptor VFR800FI ABS / VFR800A
Engine Type: 781cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 48mm
Compression Ratio: 11.6:1
Valve Train: VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit, 36mm throttle bodies, and 12-hole injectors
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #530 O-ring chain
Front: 43mm HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 4.3 inches travel
Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single HMAS gas-charged shock with seven-position spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with LBS three-piston calipers
Rear: Single 256mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper; Optional ABS
Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
Wheelbase: 57.4 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25.3°
Trail: 100mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 31.7 inches
Fuel Capacity: 5.8 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve
Color: Metallic Silver
Curb Weight*: 540 pounds
551 pounds w/ABS
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
Engine Type Liquid-cooled 90-degree V-four
Displacement 781 cc
Bore & Stroke 72 mm x 48 mm
Compression Ratio 11.6:1
Valve Train VTEC chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI fuel injection
Transmission Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive O-ring-sealed chain
Front Suspension 43 mm HMAS cartridge fork; 109 mm (4.3 inches) travel
Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-sided swingarm with Pro-Link single HMAS shock; 119 mm (4.7 in.) travel
Tires 120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 180/55ZR - 17 radial rear
Brakes Front dual 296 mm discs with Linked Braking System three-piston calipers and ABS; rear single 256 mm disc with Linked Braking System three-piston caliper and ABS
Seat Height 805 mm (31.7 inches)
Wheelbase 1,458 mm (57.4 inches)
Dry Weight TBA
Fuel Capacity 22 litres
Colour Sword Silver Metallic